Originally posted Tuesday, November 06, 2007
Tonight we had a moment of peace, a reprieve emotionally around here -- for a blessed change. Emily, considering songs for an upcoming school talent contest, turned on Shakira, "Don't bother" which lead to me listening to "Hips Don't Lie" and dancing around my little office here. Later, all of us were huddled in Em's room and taking turns petting Molly, our Cat Extraordinaire. We were each taking turns demonstrating our various techniques on how to pick her up and/or pet her, while simultaneously avoiding becoming her victim and scratched.
Emily fired up her computer and projectplaylist and typed in "Lean Like a Cholo." We all broke out dancing like a bunch of crazy white folk acting as cool and tough as we could muster. The cat took off running, but oh well, it was great stuff. I wish I could have had my camera going. Geeky as we could get, it was so fun watching Nora and her two-year-old self, shaking it for all it was worth. And Emily bopping around and grinding as though I wasn't her mother, while the boys performed their best guess at what break dancing must feel like.
Of course, I was dancing, too. A far cry from my old Top Hat days when I used to dance like a fool to a great cover band playing "Little Sister" (don't you do what your big sister done).
Smiling, laughing, sweating. It was good.